"I'm spinning round the room in awe" ryan adams

Sunday, January 11, 2004

laughing tuesday's gone...

Tuesday was an interesting day. After putting off jury duty for two years, they finally nabbed me. Not that I didn't want to do it, previous occasions found me in school, and right now it would just be a hassle. So yeah, I woke up super early and drove into Wilmington. Now, I would assume that if you are serving jury duty, you would want to at least put forth a good appearance. Silly thought. While sitting there in that room with 240 other people serving as a cross section of the county, it reaffirmed my thinking that I have to get the hell out of here. Seriously now, who wears a freaking bright orange hunting jacket to court. I glanced around the room and perhaps a handful looked professional. And maybe I shouldn't pass judgement, but then again, you shouldn't look like you just stepped out of Walmart. But hey, maybe that is the cross section here and I just haven't seen it yet since I spend my time around Main Street. AUGH! And the stupid questions! The poor clerk, she explained things clearly and twice and still people had to ask things she already went over or were blantantly obvious. It's not rocket science people!! And it wasn't even regarding procedures, it was regarding breaks, and lunch, and cell phones. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't want some of those people chosing my fate. But at least I was able to escape after a few hours and got the hell out of Delaware.

Picked up the *new* Phantom Planet CD and headed up to Morita's to pick up stuff and dinner. I was there for New Years so I sort of remembered how to get there, but you know me. I spilled coffee earlier that day, so it kinda smelled in my car so I had my windows down to have some circulation. As soon as I went over the DE Memorial Bridge, the direction swooshed out of my car and into the Jersey air. Why does this happen to me?!?!? No fear, I remembered the roads, just couldn't remember left or right. Ahhh...whatever. Got there in a slightly different manner than anticipated. We ordered chinese then I was off to Hoboken.

Akiva was playing at The Rodeo-Ristra headling an open mic and I wasn't doing anything else, so I figured I would check him out. I heard of him through friends in Chicago who went me tunes and I immediately liked. As Aurora says "I love finding new ones". The open mic brimmed with so much talent it was awesome. A great vibe to the place that reminded me of a cleaner, hipper, East End. Or maybe I just spend way too much time at the East End. Akiva & Dom played a sfew songs that impressed the corwd. His presence remineded me of Phil's (Lloyd Dobler Effect) and his live music hinted at Matt Nathanson, Graham Colton, & G. Love. So as you can see, I really enjoyed. Oddly enough, a little bit ago after I posted his CD on my site as one to check out, he did a search and found my site and wrote me. So very strange, but way cool, so I met him in Hoboken. Very awesome guy and now its time to show the area whats up in music. He graduated from UMASS Amherst with a degree in neurobiology, but a job fell through which prompted him to do the music thing full time. I mentioned that he is still practicing in some way - his music has the power to heal. He paused and was like "that's the first time i ever heard that". I am such a dork. He introduced me to Marissa Levy who played a few people before him and announced that she was "going to play a few songs about lesbians". She was super fly as well.

Left Hoboken shortly after midnight and seriously listened to Bueno y Sano two times all the way through. Such an awesome awesome disc. Also listened to a few tracks off of Marissa's CD, then XPN carried me the way home - who played Ryan Adam's "Hotel Chelsea Nights" - woohoo. So the drive home was pretty quick and less than two hours. And I always hate stopping at Jersey rest stops really late at night. I'm used to the Maryland ones that always have people and look safe. Why is the walk from the parking lot to inside the building so damn long?! There is a reason you can't pump your own gas in NJ, they don't want you to get out of your damn cars!!!

All in all, a great way to spend my Tuesday.
"Sometimes life gets somebody better. You change your life and so goes the weather. And any moment you could be back together. Laughing Tuesday's gone..."