"I'm spinning round the room in awe" ryan adams

Friday, July 02, 2004

...i see you spinning out of control...

Lloyd Dobler Effect & Virginia Coalition @ Power Plant Live

A fantastic evening of go-go funky beats in the rain. Tanya, Dave, and I headed down to Baltimore to catch the musical goodness and take full adventage of the happy hour specials. $10 all you can drink from 6 pm - 10 pm. Woohoo!! Tanya and I also learned what rail drinks are. Nonstop gin & tonics and rum & cokes! We went back to get Tanya's sweatshirt from the car and grabbed the umbrella because if we have the umbrella in tote, then the rain would stop - and it did, just for us.

Lloyd Dobler Effect took the stage and played about an hour of all originals. It sounded and looked great. We could hear an acoustic - imagine that! I spilled ice on myself and lost my bright green straw. Tanya had two straws - which matched her gin soaked lime. We danced and sung and it was fun. We sucked down our drinks and went for more many times throughout the set. Since we both had drinks in our hands the whole night, we slapped each others hands instead of clapping at the end of each song. Chris tried to mack it up for my camera, but since its digital its not instantaneous so the pictures didn't come out as I planned, but still great. Brian bounced though it wasn't digitally captured.

During the set break Tanya and I went to the bathroom to discover a stall without a lock, a stall without a toilet, and a stall without a door. Pick your poison. We came back to stand on the opposite side of the stage for some Vaco action and hung out with Steve, Erica, and the LDE guys. I absolutely love Virginia Coalition and it was great to see them live again. It's been a long time. They were my first Center Stage band YEARS ago. The show was great, even though Steve added so much to them. They played a few new songs that will be on the upcoming album and of course the oldies but goodies. We got our dance on and I kept beer caps on my hat. Tanya and I had a scandalishly good time dancing in front of others.

Time to go so we find the guys. Phil stole my camera for group shots to go on the webpage. Chris made me smell him. Rusty grabbed Tanya and my asses. Phil took us backstage and gave us goodies. Wow, Tanya has now been guestlisted and got a free signed CD ;-). Phil and I chatted about NYC and a plan of attack and he signed my arm iwith my purple sharpie. We then escaped with Rusty as he signed my back and told all the passerby to look at my black girl booty. He said his name is not Rusty, but "I am fucking drunk". The boy fell off the wagon. He hadn't been drinking in A WHILE. About a year maybe? I think Phil's party did him in last weekend. Sigh. He could't even stand or finish his sentences. Apparently I have a "da dunk a dunk" whereas Tanya has a "da dunk". Brian laughed at us as he hauled off gear and Rusty has a big mouth. I still love him so that is OK. Tanya got her new free CD signed by the rest of the guys, except for Donnie and Doug because they left. Rusty and Tanya plotted on embarrassing me, and its ok because I have lost my diginity with this band long ago. Too many drunken days and nights and miles with them for me to save face. But yeah, I turned eight shades of red and we scampered off to the car.

I didn't know if we could make it to a gas station, but we found my trusty Royal Farms off of exit 57. 15 miles later we enjoyed Sheetz. So not even close to beating Wawa's wonderfulness.

A few choice pictures below - more here.