"I'm spinning round the room in awe" ryan adams

Sunday, November 30, 2003

black friday

Yeeha, I bought a laptop.
During the Thanksgiving festivities, I was asked what I wanted for Christmas. I really don't have a need for anything right now. Some things would be nice to have, but I don't need anything. I have everything that I could possibly need right now, I have a car in great shape, I have an apartment, I have two horses who never let me down, I'm healthy, have great friends, and the melody keeps me going. Nothing is richer than that. My mother has known that I have been wanting a laptop for a bit, just because I am always on the go and mine has not been upgraded in the past two years. She planned to get me a Vaio but I would much rather have something cheaper and more financial help with grad school - which is killer. So she peruased the sales papers for Black Friday and settled on giving Best Buy (I know I know I know, don't even think it...I am shopping AT THE MAN) a visit at 5:15 am. She picks me up at 5 and we head to Wawa for some java. Odd that this is the time that I usually go to bed, and not wake up. These two guys are next to us and kept staring at me, in which I responded by staring at his friend who must have been a complete five foot three and at 5 am, this was hilarious. So we deemed him Napoleon. We get to Best Buy and the line was insane, but we weren't too far behind. Strangely, Napoleon and his friend were a few people ahead of us. Got closer to the front of the line and Dan was quite chipper - or not - handing out vouchers. Ugh, he had to work ten hours at the largest retailer on Black Friday - carpe diem! It's ok though, he showed us a shortcut and we were surrounded by some interesting customers. We all had a good time chatting in line and observing a few arguments.
Afterwards I headed to the radio station where I had a decent show. After I signed off I got a call from a person in Chicago who told me how much he enjoyed my show and inquired about a few artists. Crazy, I was able to run down a synopsis and some recent tour dates on some off them - take that, Clear Channel. I had my usual callers, but that one stuck out the most. It always feels good when someone proactively tells you how much they appreciate what you do, more often than not, in the media, critcs vocalize complaints rather than compliments.
Friday night found me at the record store working with Max and Jen. Jen and I used to work every Friday night together for the past three years until she moved to Towson to finish up school. Everything is well with Jen...and she got engaged! We all knew it was going to happen, and it did. So yay for Jen. I'm glad she is back for the holiday season, makes Rainbow seem a bit more complete.