"I'm spinning round the room in awe" ryan adams

Tuesday, December 16, 2003

rat in a hole

Saddam Hussein was caught this weekend, hiding like a coward in a spider hole.
To me, it is one of those events that I will always remember what I was doing when I found out. A headache woke me up before my alarm and I actually saw it on Sean's away message, turned it on CNN, and couldn't beleive it. Not that I didn't have faith in the US troops, but its been an immense manhunt. But the US came out victorious. I think I hold this war in a different regard than most people around me. First off, I am not that vocal about it since not many people around me are. I grew up in a military family and have experienced war first hand. Both of my parents were active in the Air Force, my mom most recently being commended and honored with a memorial in DC for involvement during wartime, and my father being active during the Gulf. I also think I am pretty informed on what has been going on, having studied it for the whole ordeal in my poli sci classes, but also since I am a news junkie.
People I know have died in this war. Not one of us knows what it is like to have our freedom threatened, to be restricted like those in undemocratic countries. Americans are misinformed about our involvement with the Middle East due to various reasons, whether it be apathy, laziness, or ignorance, and its frightening to me to hear people commending the US and what we did, but not knowing the means.
If I wasn't so damn tired, I would write more, and perhaps I will...
But in the meantime, embrace your freedom and your liberties and take advantage of the opportunities you have to educate yourself beyond the realms of your self-absorption. There is so much more to know.